How easily the topic of the thread is hijacked

Report any problems here, suggest improvements, give us feedback etc.
maxthewax

How easily the topic of the thread is hijacked

Post by maxthewax »

Am i alone in finding it extremely frustrating that an interesting topic is hijacked into a tottally different direction usually by the same few persons?
BOSS lets leave the thread to run its course before the hyeanas set about demolishing it.
It is getting really tedious :evil: :x
History will always favour the Hunter, until the lion learns how to write.
Herbert

Post by Herbert »

While it can sometimes be frustrating when a thread veers off topic, it generally comes back eventually. The vast majority of posts are done by a small number of people, without their interjections it would make very dry reading!

Mostly, the clinical type threads stay on topic longer, which in my opinion is correct.

Your choice to read or not in the end!
maxthewax

Post by maxthewax »

No i appreciate that the choice is mine, but my gripe is that it only takes a few responses to take the thread off track.
This usually happens very quickly and yeh i agree it would be very dry reading otherwise, lately it just seems to be happening far too often and far too quickly
History will always favour the Hunter, until the lion learns how to write.
eagle

Post by eagle »

I partly agree as one of those that pleads guilty to the charge. In my defense I would like to point out that threads of real interest rarely lose that interest even if deflected along the way. Relevant questions will still be asked to gain wanted information.
Most threads may benefit from a bit of humour for readability.

My gripe would be more against those who seem to want to post on virtually anything and everything. That can be OK with good quality submissions but sadly that's rarely the case.
Overall Premier League Prediction Champion from 2007-2020
MTP

Post by MTP »

I am not sure how this could be policed, without much stronger moderation from the administration. It has always been the Boss's policy to have minimal moderation, so this would have to change.

Perhaps another way to achieve this would be to have more contributions from other posters??
Humspoff

Post by Humspoff »

He is the sole moderator... as has been suggested before, others could get involved in moderation.

Like Eagle, I do put my hand up for this crime... but I do get fed up with the bitchy swipes which can occur between members when off topic. The humour between people I do enjoy. You often find that those who have gone off topic have often already given a useful contribution to the thread earlier. In defense though, the off topic stuff may well be between long standing members who have built up a rapport...
Premier League Prediction Champion for 2013-2014! AND 2015-2016! Robbed in 2008-2009...
Doing it for the girls...

#TeamHug!
The Old Biddy

Post by The Old Biddy »

It's a conundrum.

I do like the fact that the Boss moderates with a very light touch, I've seen other forums which are modded constantly, even slightly off topic posts get deleted and a warning given...it's very tiresome.

We did used to have an unwritten rule that serious threads were no go areas for silliness.

What bores me is when much of the banter is repeated over and over again...yeah you said that last night/week/month/year

And I'm not sure that
the off topic stuff may well be between long standing members who have built up a rapport...
is much of a defence! A gift for those who accuse us of cliqueness :wink:

But in the end, we have two choices, accept the forum as it is, warts and all, or don't read it.
And the figures below say it all, don't they?
Herbert

Post by Herbert »

I'm very impressed that this thread has stayed on topic so long. Perhaps we are all getting wiser.
The Old Biddy

Post by The Old Biddy »

I've just had a brainwave...

...there, that should do it!
fagin

Post by fagin »

Maybe it is up to the original poster to guide a thread back on topic if it is getting too wayward ?
Now please wash your hands.
fagin

Post by fagin »

The Old Biddy wrote:...there, that should do it!
It certainly will. :lol:
Now please wash your hands.
Nedmundo

Post by Nedmundo »

The weather is looking nice again today - discuss :lol:
Herbert

Post by Herbert »

Lovely here, beach is calling later.
Humspoff

Post by Humspoff »

The Old Biddy wrote:And I'm not sure that
the off topic stuff may well be between long standing members who have built up a rapport...
is much of a defence! A gift for those who accuse us of cliqueness :wink:
OK... I accept that criticism... perhaps not a defense but why stuff happens... rightly or wrongly.

It is no bad thing, that on a less well moderated forum such as this, a thread like this is started as a general reminder to not abuse the rules. Lets hope Broady pays heed.
Premier League Prediction Champion for 2013-2014! AND 2015-2016! Robbed in 2008-2009...
Doing it for the girls...

#TeamHug!
Sunglass Queen

Post by Sunglass Queen »

The off topic stuff does provide light relief and I find that posters generally refrain from such antics if asked politely to keep it on topic.

I don't find the clinical ones go off topic until the relevant points have been covered.
A massively off topic post usually indicates that it has lost peoples interest surely?

I am not as guilty as some, and they have already said that they know who they are, but I have been known to stray off topic myself on occasion so I guess i can't condemn too much :wink:

I like the light moderator touch - I'd hate to see threads stopped just because they go off topic. I don't get to log in very often so often come into a thread rather late. I'd miss quite a lot of useful stuff if they were more heavily moderated.

perhaps the OP could say when they feel that a post is being hijacked inappropriately?
We are all (generally) grown up and don't (usually) offend on purpose but the problem with forums is that we only have the written word. it is a peculiar form of communication without all the usual cues that we get from face to face or even telephone conversation.
Be who you are - and say what you feel...
Because those who matter...don't mind...
And those who mind...don't matter."
-Theodor Seuss Geisel (Dr. Seuss)