Privacy?

Report any problems here, suggest improvements, give us feedback etc.
btredeye

Privacy?

Post by btredeye » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:27 am

Can The Optom clarify if PMs between other members are visible to adminstrators, moderators or The Optom website owner(s)?

If no, please explain how this privacy is achieved.

theOptom
Site Admin

Post by theOptom » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:20 am

No.

But if admin wanted to they could access them by resetting your account password then using that to login to your account. You'd know this had occurred if you never changed any settings (and did not get banned) yet failed to login, with the error being username/password invalid.

Admin doesn't have access to passwords.
You work 20 years paying off a mortgage to a bank who created the money they lent you out of thin air. Debt is the modern day slavery. There is a better way: Watch this Video

jonesal2

Post by jonesal2 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:20 pm

I assume who ever set up the forum could logon directly to the MYSQL database and then read the comments stored as PMs if they knoew where to look?

Humspoff

Post by Humspoff » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:33 pm

So Boss, you don't know all those nasty things Bear and I say about you then? :wink:
Premier League Prediction Champion for 2013-2014! AND 2015-2016! Robbed in 2008-2009...
Doing it for the girls...

#TeamHug!

Pritesh

Post by Pritesh » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:44 pm

jonesal2 wrote:I assume who ever set up the forum could logon directly to the MYSQL database and then read the comments stored as PMs if they knoew where to look?
If you know what you're doing with MySQL this should be possible, presuming you have access to the backend. PHPBB2 does not encrypt PMs on the database...

mo2.1066

Post by mo2.1066 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:10 pm

Pritesh wrote:
jonesal2 wrote:I assume who ever set up the forum could logon directly to the MYSQL database and then read the comments stored as PMs if they knoew where to look?
If you know what you're doing with MySQL this should be possible, presuming you have access to the backend. PHPBB2 does not encrypt PMs on the database...
Is this actually written in English? ;)
'If you only have a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail'

ahmed_optom

Post by ahmed_optom » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:38 pm

If you are looking for that level of privacy then the internet is probably not for you.

lion

Re: Privacy?

Post by lion » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:56 pm

btredeye wrote:Can The Optom clarify if PMs between other members are visible to adminstrators, moderators or The Optom website owner(s)?

What exactly are you worried about? Whats on your mind?

MTP

Re: Privacy?

Post by MTP » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:43 am

lion wrote:
btredeye wrote:Can The Optom clarify if PMs between other members are visible to adminstrators, moderators or The Optom website owner(s)?

What exactly are you worried about? Whats on your mind?
Did you not read Hums's post? I've already been banned once for sneezing out of the wrong nostril, I ain't risking it again! :shock:

free pd

Post by free pd » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:49 am

ahmed_optom wrote:If you are looking for that level of privacy then the internet is probably not for you.
:D
Pedicabo eam

fagin

Post by fagin » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:14 am

I was always told that typing anything on to a computer was much the same as writing it on a large piece of paper and posting it on a public notice board. I bank on having no-one being remotely interested in anything I should have to say.
If you need me to explain, then you wouldn't understand.

DG
Location: A long way from anywhere - but quite near to Godmersham!

Post by DG » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:47 am

fagin wrote:I bank on having no-one being remotely interested in anything I should have to say.
Yep - I think you're on pretty safe ground there! :wink:
The grass is rarely greener.

Izopter

Post by Izopter » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:30 pm

DG wrote:
fagin wrote:I bank on having no-one being remotely interested in anything I should have to say.
Yep - I think you're on pretty safe ground there! :wink:
Sure?
There is enormous money involved in getting details of individuals (high there! Big Brother!) filtering every hint of everyone everywhere with very few exceptions (hermits, non-media users..if they exist) eg guess who HMG sold your health data to and want to sell more of ? - all the major pharmaceuticals of the world.

The recent Bang goes the Theory got an expert to find out from a few volunteers personal info they thought non too insignificant to matter. They were rather aghast at how comprehensive a picture of any individual that can be - and was - generated.

'Course, Snowdon told us all .. I should be more paranoid ... but cannot be a*r*ed either...

[Hi there, again, BB! did I tell you that ..] :wink:

PS It helps if your real name is near identical to another world famous person, past or present. Mine disappears under a mere 1,110,000 returns by Gargle in 0.21 seconds. :D
Independence is a state of mind. All else follows.