Read Posts

Report any problems here, suggest improvements, give us feedback etc.
eagle

Read Posts

Post by eagle »

Often I take a look during the day to see what new posts there are. Sometimes I cannot look at all the new stuff as something gets in the way - patients wanting to be seen etc.
When I next go to the site it has often marked all posts as read which I know not to be the case. This happens at home also.
Anyone else noticed this?
Overall Premier League Prediction Champion from 2007-2020
Rick_Optiglaze

Re: Read Posts

Post by Rick_Optiglaze »

eagle wrote:Often I take a look during the day to see what new posts there are. Sometimes I cannot look at all the new stuff as something gets in the way - patients wanting to be seen etc.
When I next go to the site it has often marked all posts as read which I know not to be the case. This happens at home also.
Anyone else noticed this?
Easily sorted, stop allowing patients to distract you. :lol:

But seriously, do you close the browser window? I imagine that is when they are being marked as read.
Steve Mayer

Post by Steve Mayer »

I'm having enough problems just getting onto the site at the moment. For some reason just putting in www.theoptom.com doesn't work, nor do my bookmarks. I get the message "Internet Explorer cannot display the web page", and there seems to be a message saying something about a DNS error that appears for a fraction of a second before displaying "done". Any ideas?

As for posts being marked as 'read', I have 2 identities (schizo, I know) and this means that I can check for new posts since I last logged on. If I have to log off with one I can always log on with the other and see which posts have been made.
Steve
eagle

Re: Read Posts

Post by eagle »

Rick_Optiglaze wrote:
But seriously, do you close the browser window? I imagine that is when they are being marked as read.
I do close the window - always have - I don't want to give the impression that I'm staring at the site all day (as if). I have only noticed the problem over the last couple of months. It is irritating as unless you leave the window open you have to check the date and times of the posts to ascertain the fresh stuff.
theOptom
Site Admin

Post by theOptom »

Eagle,

If you log in, click on "view posts since last visit" but dont get time to go through them and close the window, it will log you out, thus when you go back in and do the same thing it will show them as read.

If you MUST close the window then there is no way round it. However by "I don't want to give the impression that I'm staring at the site all day", I assume you mean give that impression to fellow site members, if that bothers you, simply adjust your profile settings so your presence is hidden. Simple.
eagle

Post by eagle »

I don't use the 'new posts since last visit' bit but tend to look for the amber icons on the left.

My point is that when leaving the forum and re-entering later it's as if I activated the 'mark all posts read' feature which I did not.

It was a joke about being logged onto the page all day. I could easily leave it on and may do in the future.

How often does the page refresh or would I have to do that manually?
theOptom
Site Admin

Post by theOptom »

The page does not refresh automatically.

The main problem is if you close the window completely, as it regards that as a clean slate / logout, as far as I'm aware.
eagle

Post by eagle »

I would agree that that seems to be the case.

What puzzles me is that the wiping of the slate is a fairly recent event when you leave the site - it never used to be like that.
theOptom
Site Admin

Post by theOptom »

As far as I'm aware I've not changed settings with respect to that function.
eagle

Post by eagle »

Fair enough.

I'll either have to leave the site on or peruse when I know I have time available to have a decent look.