Number of posts

Report any problems here, suggest improvements, give us feedback etc.
michel le curie

Number of posts

Post by michel le curie »

Just for fun & trying to be innovative can we consider introducing negative postings?
I have a considerable number dating back to 2005. I suppose along with everybody else's this has produced a major, unique, archive of invaluable activity, knowledge, information, history, clinical observation plus original thought & opinion.......plus a load of crap.
There is on social media generally now a vast amount of knowledge, but also a much larger amount of trash. This forum is now 11 years old, the amount of trash surely exceeds the amount of valuable information. If members volunteer to allow certain postings to expire after a certain time then the sheer volume of stuff retained can & will reduce allowing faster access to that, hopefully, useful information retained on the data base.
Is it possible, Boss, to include a voluntarily included opt-in expiry date after which unimportant postings just disappear, creating more room for others?
If so who would, like me, elect to join?
Johnb

Post by Johnb »

Why?
theOptom
Site Admin

Post by theOptom »

An expiry date can be set for posts/threads but it's not possible to single out just the "unimportant" ones.
People are dying/suffering needlessly when there are effective, simple, safe and cheap treatments: see here
What are you going to do about it?
michel le curie

Topic

Johnb.......why?
Have you never noticed how long it takes sometimes to load up stuff. That's not just the fault of the server or your own download speed, it's because there's so much trash on here along with the good stuff.
If we could all preset, at will, a time limit on what we feel needs to remain vs what can die in a couple of weeks or so, self policing can I'm sure reduce the trash.........our own inbuilt forum defrag.
The Boss says it is possible per topic introduced, how difficult would it be to voluntarily time date each post?

Which brings me back to "why?" Do you really expect me to address this? Your own detailed observations on franchises in & around "the bar is open" to me seemed at first amusing, then rather laboured, hardly deserving of retention for immortality any more than my own frivolous comments do. But it's free speech. It is not serious, it's just a lighthearted comment thread which again illustrates my point, most posts of this nature could simply disappear voluntarily after a couple of weeks. It's not kept for legal purposes & emptying the trash every couple of weeks anyway is what most of us do in life as well as on the computer.
It would be up to the individual to self-select what they feel should be kept.
lad_from_leeds

Post by lad_from_leeds »

As a poster of more than my fair share of trash I'm not against a load of it being expunged but I've never found speed an issue - less than a second on load up each time and search function taking a couple of seconds at most.

I find the search very useful for looking up clinical nuggets but have also searched for random bits about furniture, wallpaper, films and music. Although it wouldn't ruin my life if these bits were gone it would at times be annoying.

As it's largely only text I can't imagine it takes up much space and as I say I've had no issues with speed. If it is causing real problems or cost implications for the boss man then get scrapping but if there's no problems to solve/if it ain't broke...
We all love Leeds!
Izopter

Post by Izopter »

'Some' of us miserable sinners have, for some years now, had all our posts inaccessible bar the current week's offerings.

If I ever vaguely recall something posted long ago I can only fish for it with faulty memories or clues, mostly unsuccessful.

It is all there however whenever I do succeed.

Just like 'normal' memories : it is the recall faculty that fails - or appears blocked on theO.

When both recalls are blocked ... :evil:
Independence is a state of mind. All else follows.
Johnb

Re: Topic

Post by Johnb »

michel le curie wrote:Johnb.......why?
Have you never noticed how long it takes sometimes to load up stuff. That's not just the fault of the server or your own download speed, it's because there's so much trash on here along with the good stuff.
If we could all preset, at will, a time limit on what we feel needs to remain vs what can die in a couple of weeks or so, self policing can I'm sure reduce the trash.........our own inbuilt forum defrag.
The Boss says it is possible per topic introduced, how difficult would it be to voluntarily time date each post?

Which brings me back to "why?" Do you really expect me to address this? Your own detailed observations on franchises in & around "the bar is open" to me seemed at first amusing, then rather laboured, hardly deserving of retention for immortality any more than my own frivolous comments do. But it's free speech. It is not serious, it's just a lighthearted comment thread which again illustrates my point, most posts of this nature could simply disappear voluntarily after a couple of weeks. It's not kept for legal purposes & emptying the trash every couple of weeks anyway is what most of us do in life as well as on the computer.
It would be up to the individual to self-select what they feel should be kept.
Michael - The trouble is it is not possible to do this individually with each post, it is only possible with the topic. Therefore while you may wish to delete a post of yours after a certain time frame you have to also delete everyone post on the topic as well, even if there responses are not "Frivolous" ect. Or if they do not wish to have them deleted.

Also imagine if it could be achieved that individual posts could expire, then the thread would look disjointed if the following or replying post did not expire.

Re Bar Franchise, we are looking for someone to open Wolverhampton, are you interested?
Izopter

Post by Izopter »

michel, how old is your current system?
Is theO the only 'slow loader'?

For my third time (XP, W7 32, now W7 64, all from new setups) have ground to a crawl after three years in spite of daily cache clearing and lots of such actions.
michel le curie

Topic

Izo,
Pretty good. Virgin broadband, only 50mt from the box & mainly use a Samsung android tablet less than 2 yrs old. My beef really was why save so much trash but most seem to disagree & there seem to be technical difficulties...... I give in.
It's just my ocd, clinical tidinesss, throw anything away I don't need.
The bar franchise, Johnb, no thanks. Work, even virtual work, is for other people
Izopter

Post by Izopter »

Virgin also.
Lowest (but now expensive) tariff - but, just tested, Uswitch:
shy of 90mb down / 6up.

Way OTT for what is used.

But that is a dedicated channel, not 'real net life'.

IF I could find a safe way to revise/clear my whole W7 system without putting it all over Niagara and losing down the Whirlpool I'd love to know.