Clinical photography

Report any problems here, suggest improvements, give us feedback etc.
yzf-r1

Clinical photography

Post by yzf-r1 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:57 pm

I think it would be a good idea to add a forum under the section "In practice" that would be specifically for clinical photography. We would collectively develop a pretty useful, interesting and extensive library. What does everyone else think?

theOptom
Site Admin

Post by theOptom » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:17 pm

Sounds like a decent idea.

If others think so too... would it be possible for members to link such threads already on the forum here, so I can then compile them into the new category?

MTP

Post by MTP » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:35 pm

Why not have a gallery that users could load images into associated with the forum, so rather than having to go through a whole series of different threads, you could also just go and browse the image gallery. This could then be split into different sub-galleries as seen fit - perhaps initially anterior and posterior photography. Once the image is embedded into a post, there could be a link back to the relevant thread from the photo.

theOptom
Site Admin

Post by theOptom » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:50 pm

Have pics that link to threads or threads that link to pics?

Hmm.

MTP

Post by MTP » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:55 pm

Why not reciprocal?

Rather than pictures being hosted here, there and wherever, bring them together into one gallery. If you were to use something like Gallery 2 or Zen Photo then it is really simple to do.

Then you could simply flick through the pretty pictures, or you could see them in relation to the thread and ongoing discussion.

This could allow for automatic restriction of the image size so that we don't get any of those really large images embedded into a thread.

eagle

Post by eagle » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:09 pm

Sounds a great idea.

Don't forget the chicken.
Overall Premier League Prediction Champion from 2007-2016

Izopter

Post by Izopter » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:20 pm

MTP wrote:Once the image is embedded into a post, there could be a link back to the relevant thread from the photo.
Would this allow both to display at the same time ?

There could also be non-clinical or even non-optical but relevant photos worth showing.
Independence is a state of mind. All else follows.

MTP

Post by MTP » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:24 pm

From within the gallery, each photo could have a link back to the thread that it relates to.

fagin

Post by fagin » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:46 pm

It would be helpful to request that those who submit a photo, also give details of what piece of kit they used to get the photo. It would certainly help purchasing decisions....
If you need me to explain, then you wouldn't understand.

MTP

Post by MTP » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:02 pm

good point

Izopter

Post by Izopter » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:05 pm

MTP wrote:From within the gallery, each photo could have a link back to the thread that it relates to.
Understood as that, but I mean co-located without having to flick back and forward or running two parallel versions of theOptom and relevant threads.

MTP

Post by MTP » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:08 am

No my thought are that they are quite separate, although they are joined. People can browse theOptom as they do now, images popping up as per normal.

Equally you could just browse the gallery without using the forum.

You could, in fact, do both, neither or either!

The advantage to theOptom to provide this service is that it gives more reasons for sites visits and another resource for optometrists to come back for - say if you are looking for pictures of some pathology, or to review how good the photos from different cameras are - then you would know where to go to look. This then increases traffic, opportunities for advertising, etc, etc. Equally, if you have no interest in this, then you can continue to use theOptom as you do now with no difference to the current user experience.

Izopter

Post by Izopter » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:56 am

MTP wrote: Equally you could just browse the gallery without using the forum.
So, dual screens per W7. Great.
I suggest the opening splash for the gallery is .. the Chicken.
:D

theOptom
Site Admin

Post by theOptom » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:26 am

MTP, if we were to use Gallery 2 or Zen Photo, what kind of integration could there be? For example, not just anyone (i.e. the public) can upload a pic, only forum members, so how could we incorporate that?

MTP

Post by MTP » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:54 pm

When I have played with Gallery 2 before you are able to restrict user's permissions. I can see, however, that it wouldn't be terribly advantageous to you to have to administer another set of authorisations (I people have to PM you before uploading for the first time). Let me see if there is some way in incorporating a system with phpBB.

The only thing is, if you do restrict uploads, ultimately it is still open to the public as this forum effectively is as well - no credentials are checked at the time of registration.